Investigative Journalism Media Assessment Program (IJ-MAP)
UPDATE: Please note that applications are now closed. Deadline to apply was Wednesday, June 30. GIJN will open a new round of assessment applications later this year. To stay informed, you can subscribe to the GIJN newsletter here.
Are you an Asian independent media organization producing watchdog journalism that wants to strengthen both your journalism and your organization’s capacity? GIJN Advisory Services is offering three small-to-medium media outlets free, in-depth assessments of their organization, and follow-up with expert advice in priority areas.
Producing strong investigative journalism is demanding, leaving little time to review an organization’s strengths and weaknesses and to assess what is needed for future success. Organizational assessments require hard-earned resources as well, which is a barrier to smaller, independent media outlets. GIJN would like to help.
We will select three organizations through a competitive process and via application. From July to December 2021 the three organizations will participate in GIJN’s new Investigative Journalism Media Assessment Program (IJ-MAP), with access to consultants who will work with them to do an overall assessment of such areas as: investigative and data journalism; newsroom organization; marketing; audiences; business capacity; fundraising and revenue streams; management and organizational development; safety and security. All consulting will take place online.
Please give careful consideration to the criteria below:
– Your organization must be a legally registered entity and can either be a for-profit or not-for-profit company or organization.
– Your organization’s mission should include a focus in full or in part on watchdog journalism and in the application you will be asked to provide links to three recent watchdog stories published in the last year.
– You will have been operating for at least one year.
– You agree to commit the necessary time to complete the process which is about 2-3 days per month for 5 months.
– You will be willing to fully engage your management team in the process.
– You are willing to provide financial statements and be transparent about your processes.
– You will provide feedback during and at the end of the process
If you have further questions contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note on Support: GIJN gratefully acknowledges the support of the Ford Foundation’s BUILD program, Porticus, and our general support donors in making this project possible. Thanks to their support, we plan to scale the IJ-MAP program globally in 2022, with expansion to Africa, Latin America, and the Middle East. Interested donors: please contact us at email@example.com.